My first quad: HMB-235 Buildlog – Building part 3

Buildlog, Multirotor, RC

The FPV camera arrived in the mail today, so it’s time to finish up the HMB-235!

When mounting the camera I will have to open the quad up once again and remove the top plate + standoffs, so that’s also a good time to make some tweaks and changes. First up is some cable management, especially the servo cables were too messy and just jammed in the back, so I zip-tied them up and stuck them beneath the XT60 pigtail, that way it’s a little easier to access the other connectors in the back.

The 2nd thing that bothered me was the location of the micro usb port on the Flight Controller. It was located at the back and there was no easy way to reach it with all the wires in there. It was possible to get an angled plug in the connector, but it was way to hard to be practical. So I decided to rotate the FC 90 degrees, so that the usb connector was at the side now. This ment that the wires for the LED strip in the back were now too short, since they had to come from the front of the FC instead of from the side, so I had to lengthen these wires. This way I can also move it further back if I want.

IMG_20160322_211542

Now that that was done it was time to alter the cable from the camera to the +12V and VTX. Luckily I had prepared for that, and it was as easy as popping out the Video wire from the servo-style connector and popping it into an empty servo-connector and connecting them. Of course this wire is also too long, but I’d rather keep it this length since I don’t have a servo-crimp tool. I could have removed a piece of wire from the middle and solder the 2 ends together, but since that will add a possible extra point of failure it’s not worth it. The back of the quad already has so many wires, it’s not going to make a difference anyways 😉

IMG_20160322_211519

Mounting the camera in the supplied FPV camera mount turned out to be a little harder then I had hoped. The way the camera is built, the lens has a threaded shaft on the outside. You can rotate the lens to slide it in and out to focus it, it is then held in place with a little plastic threaded ring around the threaded lens shaft.

HMB -235 Cam_Mount_1

The way the HMB-235 camera mount works is that you put the threaded camera lens in the mount and then keep in it place with an extra threaded ring. The problem with my Foxeer XAT600 camera was that even with the mount all the way at the end of the lens shaft, it still could not focus enough to get a sharp image. I eventually resorted to using my Dremel-tool to carefully make the mount a bit thinner so I could move the ring just enough to be able to focus. Eventually after removing and test-fitting a couple of time I got it thin enough to work properly. I noticed due to the low profile of the mount, I could only get a relatively small uptilt. It’s probably enough for me personally for the forseable future, and I have some other options I could use in the future. I could use the U-bracket that came with the camera, but it doesn’t hold it’s angle very well. Even with the screws all tightened up, it is still loose enough that it can swivel in flight.  For now I’ll use the HMB mount, I won’t be flying fast enough to need a bigger uptilt anyways 😉

Other changes were to secure the LED strip tiewraps with a little dab of hotglue to the frame supports, so it stays nice and level. I also fixed the receiver antenna straws to the zip-ties with heat-shrink instead of tape. I also found a nice carrying bag for the Quanum V2 goggles to prevent damage from transporting them. I used to be a gift/goodie bag that looks a bit like a camcorder carrying case. The Quanum’s fit almost perfectly, and it also has some pouches where I can put some antenna’s and goggle/VRX lipo’s.

gogglebag

The last step was to go through the settings one more time in Cleanflight Configurator, enable 2KHz mode and make sure all LiPo’s are charged to go flying!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *